Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

Flirting with Fitness

by: Ashley

Finally, it's Friday!!  It was hard going back to work after two weeks of working from home with some vacation days off to spend with the family.  But I'm excited to get back to a fitness post!

It's old news that when you work out with a buddy you stick to your fitness goals better. It's a lot harder to skip the gym when someone else is depending on you to be there.  But last year, I found out that working out with your honey is also really good for your relationship.

A friend of mine convinced me to sign up for the full (26.2!! miles) marathon.  My honey and I had just started dating and were in that phase of getting to know each other.  I asked him a couple times if he wanted to run with me to which he basically said no way in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!! But he realized that if I was out training that meant we weren't spending time together.  So it didn't take long to get him on board too.

As our training progressed from early summer running about 3 or 4 miles to mid-fall running up to 16 miles, our relationship also grew.  There was nothing to distract us while we ran (besides the occasional side cramp) so we just talked about everything... childhood, life, likes, dislikes, pet peeves, goals and ambitions.  Well, we never made it to running the full marathon (I injured myself on that last 16 mile run) - but it doesn't matter, because we both cherish those months that we spent running together.

This spring I plan on running a half marathon.  And even though my honey doesn't want to run it with me this time around, he is so supportive!! For Christmas he bought me running shoes and some accessories.

So grab your honey, a friend or even a neighbor you've been wanted to get to know.  You can motivate each other to get in shape and you never know what type of relationship will blossom!



No comments:

Post a Comment