Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Latch Hook Rug

By: Danie

Rugs are so expensive! I really didn't realize that they were such a hot commodity. When looking for a little rug for my little dude's room, I literally almost had a heart attack. My son will do a number of things on this carpet spit up, spill snacks..... the possibilities are endless he is an energetic little boy! So I had gotten the ingenious idea to make my rug. I did research on the web and found a rough guide to making a latch hook rug. You will need to following.....
Supplies
  1. Latch Hook Canvas (Joanns 36 x 60)
  2. Latch Hook Tool (Get a couple so friends and family can help)
  3. Fabric (11-15 yards for a large canvas or you could use a bunch of old t-shirts)
  4. Dye (if you want to match a specific color- but I am telling you from experience just buy the color you want)
  5. Rug Binding
First you will need to dye your fabric if you wanted to go that route! It was such a pain but a little tip... use the tulip brand from Walmart it gives you great color.


Then it is going to take you a hot minute to cut up all the fabric into litte pieces but if you get a rotary tool and a mat you will be in good shape. I cut mine into 1/2 inch by 4 inch strips.

Then comes the fun part! Pulling the strips through the canvas with the latch hook tool (there is a picture of the tool on the fabric above). I pulled the fabric through each row and left an inch border around the edge. Don't know how to use a latch hook tool?? Click Here!



Voila!

I still have some work to do but it's getting there. There is no doubt that this is not an easy quick solution. However, I don't think you could put a price on something like this (Your child will have it forever and it will be a keepsake). I have seen people make little mats for the bathroom and kitchen so you could do that instead you would just have to get a smaller canvas or cut down a big canvas, that will take a quarter of the time. 

2 comments:

  1. Did you really use 11-15 yards of fabric? Did you go through every loop, every other, or some other pattern? I'm planning on making a rug like this for my little one's nursery once he makes his debut in May. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alicia,

      So for the first 1/4 of my rug I used roughly 3-4 yards of 45" wide cotton fabric (I think she may have given me a little extra because I had almost finished the bolt). Then I realized after I had dyed and cut all the strips that it was only enough for 1/4 of the rug.... so I purchased another 10-11 yards of fabric, dyed it and cut it up. Like I said I am not completely finished. I am a little more than 1/2 way through and it looks like I have enough strips to finish. I REALLY wish that I just purchased a color I liked instead of dying fabric, because the dying is messy and adds so much time to the project. I went through every loop with my 1/2 inch by 4 inch strips but you can do every other loop, in hindsight that would have been just as nice and less labor intensive. I would suggest getting started now on the rug because it will easily take 60 hours to complete it if you are doing it on your own.

      Good luck and congrats!!

      Danie :)

      Delete