Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hunt for the Perfect Coat

By: Danie

While hunting for the perfect coat, I decided the first place to start was a budget. You realize quite quickly that coats get EX.PEN.SIVE. no joke. Not sure about the rest of you but this gal has got growing boys to feed! Its so hard to give yourself a spending cap for something that you need and needs to be good quality {especially when you really only purchase coats once in a blue moon, literally}. My budget to some might be exuberant but really this will be my coat for the next 5-10 years so $200 is my number. Here is the list of what I was looking for:

1. Trendy
2. Well made- i.e. lining, heavy fabric, well stitched seams
3. Vibrant color {I have only really had a black coat, can you blame me?}
4. Flattering Fit { I'm a tad bit top heavy..... BAHHH HAHA, ok I'm REALLY top heavy}

I am going to let you guys in on a secret, shopping for a coat in November/December is the worst time because its all picked over and to top it off everything is soo over priced. Best time to shop for coats is the end of the season, yes it is picked over but guess what you will pay a fraction of the price and wont find your $200 coat for $50 at Ross or TJ Maxx.




What's wrong with all the coats out there! 

I felt so unsatisfied in my somewhat fruitless search. It came down to the four contenders above. Not sure what a great buy a cape is- I would purchase one on sale but not sure if it is a good fit for a cold climate?? Feel free to fill us in on the effectiveness of a cape style coat.

Pretty sure that me reading a book about the Scottish Highlands had something to do with the tartan-esque cape and maybe even the petticoat looking Steve Madden coat. Really the best option, I felt was the Jessica Simpson coat... it doesn't look like much in the photo but it has a great berry color and the slight V is great for my top.

Have you been coat shopping? Give us the low down!



No comments:

Post a Comment